It all started with turning a negative situation (having a foggy memory) into a positive one. I always carried around my mini point-and-shoot camera in hopes of capturing magical moments with friends and loved ones. Cumulatively, those moments blossomed into creative documentation.
From photographing local events, to developing stock photos, to composing portraits, I am consistently working on archiving communities that I admire and identify with.
- Gallery 44 x Supporting Our Youth, Film Photography
- AGO, Jason Evan’s Portraiture Workshop
- Gallery 44 x The Nia Centre for Arts, Film Photography
- Vulva Is, Feminist Art Conference, Toronto, ON
- Strange Sisters: The Insatiable Redux, Buddies in Bad Times Theatre, Toronto, ON
- Flux, Gallery 44, Toronto, ON
- Black to the Future, Sherbourne Health Centre, Toronto, ON
- Switzer, S, Lyaruu, T., Apong, K., Bell, O, Manuel-Smith, C, Hernandez, L., Pariah, S., McWhinney, P.G., Seidu, F., Bykes, A. (2016) What’s glitter got to do with it?: Re-imagining harm reduction, decision-making and the politics of youth engagement. In Smith, C. & Marshall, Z (eds.) Critical Perspectives on Harm Reduction: Conflict, Institutionalization, Co-optation, Depoliticization, and Direct Action. Nova Publishers: New York.
- Adventure’s in Nest-Building (Or, How to support place-based youth organizing): A YSI Collaborative Learning Document (Contributing Photographer), December 2015
- Chimurenga: Watah Theatre Inaugural (Guest Photographer), December 2015
- Sidai 1-4, From The Root Zine: Issue #2 Body, March 2015
- Sidai 000 Zine: Stories of Our Bodies, March 2015
- Essential Things For Surviving As A Young Black LGBTQ Freelancer, Canadian Media Guild Blog, February 2015
- Headwrap Headshots (Amanda), From The Root Zine: Issue #1 Hair, June 2014
- NIA Centre 2014 Calendar (August Feature), February 2014
- Toronto Youth Equity Strategy: Building Resilience and Supportive Systems (Contributing Photographer), January 2014
- Headwrap Headshots Series, 436, York United Black Students’ Alliance, Back Cover, February 2014
- Say NO to femme taming and FUCK YEAH to femme claiming, Queer and Trans Suppliment, Excalibur: York University ‘s Community Paper, November 2013
- Beads of Survival, Flux, Gallery 44 Zine, page 19, June 2013
Film And Video Art Productions
- Route To Love. Director/Editor. Digital Video. 3:13 Minutes. Story about mental health and self- harm as a young Black woman and overcoming this with art.
- The Femme Chronicles (work-in-progress). Director/Editor. Digital Video. TBD. Documentary about 4 individuals who identify within the femme spectrum.